Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Bit of Retro

Prior to and during our remodel, I got rid of TONS of things, most of which were not of great value - either monetarily or sentimentally. However, even though I'm almost down to the bare bones, it may still be too much - especially if we downsize. 

Add to all this, that at the same time I'm trying to pare down, I also gain new appreciate of, yes! more stuff! Oy! I have fallen in love with mid-century design. I love the furniture, the dishware, the art! My husband thinks a lot of it is cool, but has no interest in having it. In a way, I guess I don't really want a lot of it myself, but if I can slip it into our new sleek, modern style - all the better.

For instance, several years ago at age 40, I finally discovered beer! Well, ale actually. For several years my husband and I enjoyed exploring the many styles and varieties of beer. We made it a point to visit any micro breweries and/or brewpubs anywhere we went. We had a ball! We even made beer for a while.

Last summer, while looking for interesting (and cheap) wall art for our newly decorated living room, I came across some vintage magazine beer ads. I did some research and found there was an entire advertizing campaign in the '50s and '60s geared toward making beer more "respectable." I purchased two of the ads that were drawn by the same artist (there were several different artists) that both had my accent color of red. My husband cut the mats and framed them and they now hang in the living room. I love them.



Not the best photos, what with the glare and all, but hopefully you get the idea.





No comments:

Post a Comment