Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Starting Out

When my husband and I were first married - almost 30 years ago! - we didn't have much. Over the years, as with many people, we have accumulated quite a bit. During this time I have also held many garage sales and donated many, many bags and boxes to charity. I often wonder what my house would be like if I hadn't! Frightening!

My husband was always the tidy one, made anxious by having lots of stuff around. I didn't quite get it. I was a stay-at-home-mom busy with three children and did my best to keep up with the housework, but frankly, I wasn't all that interested in having the perfect home - not if I was the one who would have to make it so, that is!

In the ensuing years, beloved family members passed on, and I was reluctant to part with various of their possessions. They were filled with cherished memories of cherished loved ones. But what to actually do with these items?

Also, during this time framed photos of my children appeared regularly, as did holiday and gift items made by them at school. More stuff.

Add to that, various little collections begin to grow...

Fast forward many years, and now I've caught the anxious-with-too-much-stuff-around bug. So, what to do? How do you keep from being overwhelmed (can you say "hoarder"?) while still honoring your past?





So, how does one keep from being overwhelmed by stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment